Why Choose Our Camp?
- Our camp is located in a secure, gated campus.
- We perform background checks on staff members.
- Students are supervised at all times.
- Earlier sign-ups receive lower prices!
- Sibling discounts, military discounts, etc.
- Low-income assistance is available upon request.
Growth & Independence
- Students play a major role in their own learning.
- Students "build it" and "test it" themselves, rather
than just helping or watching (as much as possible).
- We offer a leadership program for older students.
- We offer camps for ages 5-13. Great for siblings!
- Extended care available → AM and PM.
- 1 snack provided each day.
- Activities are as hands-on as possible.
- Engaging the mind and the body together creates
a richer and more lasting experience for students.
Awesome Art Projects
- Art projects fit the camp's weekly themes.
- Projects range from drawing to designing, to building.
- We emphasize creative freedom for students.
Something for Everyone
- We have three ALL NEW themes this year.
- Topics are largely based on student suggestions.
- Subjects change daily, fitting into a weekly theme.
- Subjects range from hard sciences like Chemistry,
to silly sciences like Superhero Science.
For details on this section, please visit our desktop site.
Who We Are
WHO WE ARE
Brian Hurst - Founder
Brian is a science enthusiast with diverse interests and pursuits. As a child he participated in Astronomy Club, NASA field trips, FSEA (Future Scientists and Engineers of America), and GATE. At that time, his favorite subjects were rocks, space, dinosaurs, and "building stuff"
As a teenager, he discovered his passion and enthusiasm for working with, and teaching children. He has worked in exciting environments with kids including Pump It Up, Silva Martial Arts, and even at the Tech Museum as a Mythbuster! When he finally combined this passion with his love of the sciences, The Science Factory was born!
As an adult Brian has owned multiple children's programs, and become an Economics Lecturer with SJSU (San Jose State University), where he completed his MA in Applied Economics. Although his degree is in economics, he has always enjoyed the sciences. In fact, the critical thinking he learned from the sciences is what lead him to economics.
Jennifer Hurst - Co-founder and Curriculum Consultant
Jennifer is a graduate of Santa Clara University, with a BS in Biochemistry, and a minor in Biotechnology. During school, she worked in the university’s microbiology lab as a research assistant, and was twice published as a co-author for her work with Caulobacter.
She has also had enthusiasm for science all of her life. In elementary school she built a hydroelectric generator for her science fair project. She also participated in the GATE Program, as well as several science camps. Her favorite subject was Anatomy.
In high school and early college, Jennifer coached children’s gymnastics courses. Later on, she volunteered as an instructor with Silva Martial Arts, and joined The Science Factory for it's first three summers. She has since begun a career in various biotech startups, but continues to help with our camp's brainstorm and design process.